Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Found baby birds!!! what should i do?!?! mother not coming back!!

Customer Question

found baby birds!!! what should i do?!?! mother not coming back!!
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
First, in situations like this, we do have a few options, First, you can consider putting their nest just outside the location of where you found them (where mum most likely has gained access). All you need to do is put their nest in a tupperware container bottom and wire this onto a branch or onto a tree near this. If mum is away getting food (as she often is), then she will hear them calling on her return and meet them at your new nest.
Otherwise, if this isn't an option (though getting them back with their parents should be our top goal), then you can consider submitting them to an experienced bird rehabilitator. They will be in the best position to legally (since the US have wildlife laws that require permits for wild bird rearing) provide the care they need at this early stage of its life. As well, they will be able to determine their species, which is critical for feeding and care. To find one near you, you can check at :
Wildlife International (LINK @ http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html)
US Wildlife Rehabilitation (LINK @ http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/directory-us.html)
Wildlife Rehabilitation Information Directory (LINK @ http://wildliferehabinfo.org/ContactList_MnPg.htm)
Wildlife Rehabbers (LINK) @ http://wildliferehabber.com/rehabber-search, or
Wildlife Sanctuaries (LINK @ http://www.greenpeople.org/sanctuary.htm)
Alternatively, you can take them over to your local veterinary practice and they will be able to examine the little ones and if there isn't a life threatening defect or illness afoot, they will be able to turn them over to the rehabilitation centre (often the vets will have a relationship with the local rehab centre).
While you are sorting out getting them into a rehabilitation centre, you will want to keep them in a little hospital cage (one level with a soft substrate floor). You will want to make sure to regulate the temperature and they should be kept warm (since they will be prone to hypothermia, and we don't want them to have to spend too much of their energy on keeping warm). You can use a heat lamp, or a heating pad under half her pen (do not put it in the cage). Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer for birds from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn them. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat them (and we cannot be confident they would move themselves if they grew too warm).
Finally, if they are begging for food, you can offer a short term gruel made of high protein baby cereal mixed with one part hard-boiled egg yolk. Mix with enough water to make the consistency of thin oatmeal. This isn't as balanced as we'd need for long term use but would be an option to keep them from starving today as you take one of the above steps.
Overall, the best things we can do for these little ones is to get them back to their normal life if we can. So, do see if you can get them back where they belong with a faux nest near/just outside the entrance mum has been using. If you cannot then you will need to consider submitting them to either the vet or bird rehabilitators. They will be legally and medically able to retain these wee ones and provide them with the care they need (especially since they need feeding every 15 minutes for the weeks to come) to give them the best chance of life.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Samantha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.