Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have had my rabbit years, last night i came home and

Customer Question

I have had my rabbit for 5 years, last night i came home and had passed away. I am devastated and need to understand what happened. Can anyone help me?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,So sorry to hear of your loss ... My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Was your rabbit showing any symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor } prior to him passing on?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is an indoor bunny. That morning I noticed that he had urinated a lot in his tray over the last couple of days, he seemed a little down but I put out some of his fresh food and he started nibbling on the meadow hay, so I thought he was ok and left for work. I feed him daily and for years - fresh corn, kale, apple, carrot, timothy hay, timothy hay pellets, meadow hay and oaten hay. The last 6 months or so he just never stopped shedding fur, it came out in chunks no matter how often I brushed him. He lost his feline friend a few months ago, and was also desexed & recently vaccinated for the calici virus. He didn't have much to do with the new feline in the house. He was a confident bunny and didn't let anything phase him. I have never owned a rabbit so I did a lot of reading and learning on them, and I expected him to live to 10 years, so I am shocked. I didn't expect it.
Hello again and thanks for waiting. So sorry to hear of your loss, rabbits can be such great characters, I know how upsetting this must have been for you ...I know there has been a delay in getting back to you, we are in very different time zones you see and I have just come online first thing this morning and found your reply, anyway I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. If he was aged between five and six years of age then he was in older middle age, really well cared for pet rabbits can live somewhere between seven to ten years of age on average, but larger rabbits tend to have shorter life spans than smaller ones. While age could have been a facto in your case with age related illness you would expect a gradual decline not a relatively sudden deterioration as you experienced. 2. The only way you would find out for sure what happened is to have had a post mortem carried out. Many of my clients were against this because they did not want their loved pets cut about and as a pet owner myself I do not blame them in the slightest for feeling that way. However in my experience where a rabbit is urinating more and seems depressed then you would always suspect kidney disease which is not uncommon in older rabbits, but of course a range of other diagnosis are possible. Read more of this HERE Whatever happened though I cannot see that this could have been prevented or was in any way your fault, it sounds as if he was very well looked after all his life ... I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see if you would like to talk things over further concerning the unfortunate loss of your rabbit ...
I know you did the best you could, and he was lucky to have such an exceptional owner.
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Scott
My apologies for the late reply. I also wondered maybe if he was bitten by a spider, or how likely that might be.
I was in a bit of shock on Thursday and needed to find answers. But whatever it was, I cannot bring him back. I thank you for your time and assistance. I wish you all the best.
No problem, very glad to have advised you ...
Kindest regards,
Dr Scott