Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What can I give my staffing when we go to Devon she gets anxious

Customer Question

What can I give my staffing when we go to Devon she gets anxious and won't stay still
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who is 8 years old. We are taking her on holiday with us to Devon but she gets anxious and excitable what's the best thing for me to calm her a little side effects.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when we choose products to use for , it will be a case of finding what works best for her. Since she sounds quite stressy, if she is only anxious when traveling, then you could consider trying Kalmaid (More Info@ http://nutri-science.net/kalmaid-for-small-animals/) with her. This supplement is very good at soothing anxious dogs and helping them cope with stressful situations like long car rides. It is available over the counter at most vets or even online and it doesn't tend to have negative side effects.
Alternative but potentially milder treatments that would could also try would include use of a Adaptil/DAP collar (http://www.adaptil.com/) or Zylkene (http://www.zylkenepet.co.uk/).
Otherwise, if she is severe affected, then you can request that her vet dispense a sedative like Acepromazine. This isn't an ideal choice since it will just sedate her and not reduce her stress. Still, it can be an option for dogs that really struggle with travel. Though I would note that it tends to be a long lasting sedative (6-12 hours). So, that could mean that you have to wait for it to wear off once you arrive before she can get down to enjoying the holiday.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.