Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamsters head is shaking

Customer Question

My hamsters head is shaking
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small pet health. I'm sorry to hear of Lilly's problem. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.
What is the temperature in your home? Was is colder than that over night?
Is Lilly eating and drinking normally?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 70 degrees I think she is drinking more then normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was holding her and she was not skiddish like she normally is and kind of falling asleep in my hands. I put her back in her cage and she did run around and went back in her hidding house.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Your house is warm enough to prevent her from going into hibernation, so that isn't the problem. However, if you lower the heat at night, she may have gotten too cold. When they begin to warm up, they often shake.
But there are other possibilities that are more likely. I'll give you a first aid measure to take. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Put a drop at a time in the side of Lilly's mouth - not straight down the throat. Wait for her to swallow, then give a second drop. Fir the first hour, give her a drop once every ten minutes. You can also give her a couple of drops of honey, maple syrup, or sugar water. Then, since hamsters normally sleep in the daytime, let her rest. When she wakes at her normal time, if she's still shaking and not herself, repeat the Pedialyte and the syrup, honey, etc.
Hamsters can get diabetes and hypoglycemia. It is difficult to treat in hamsters, but special diets can help with diabetes. But, there are many different conditions that can be causing Lilly's symptoms. If she were mine, I would simply take her to a vet to get to the cause of the problem.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Lilly will be fine.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
The following sites have directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.
http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list
http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katherine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Syrian Hamster Lilly. How is everything going?

MsAM