How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5770
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 40 lb. Lab mix/female ate a few (10 pcs) of "mouse poison"

This answer was rated:

My 40 lb. Lab mix/female ate a few (10 pcs) of "mouse poison" pelletts, the green ones that have, I believe Warfan in them... She seems ok, but just want to make sure-eats & drinks normal-Happened 2 hrs ago.. Just found out.. She is 100% healthy per vet otherwisw- 7 yrs. old.. Thanks, Dave & "Olivia"..
Hello Dave - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Are you sure that Olivia did not eat more then 10 pieces of the mouse poison?

Do you know the concentration of the Warfarin in the mouse poison?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maybe 20 little piece's, but not more.. I can find the %, but it will take 5 min..

Thank you for the additional information.

Warfarin can be toxic to dogs. After a single dose the toxic dose has a fairly high range 5-50 mg/kg. This means that at 40 pounds or 18 kilograms she would have needed to ingest 90 mg of the warfarin. This is very unlikely if she only ingested 10-20 pieces of the warfarin. Usually a 40 pound dog would need to eat a more then 3-4 ounces of the warfarin pellets to have side effects such as bleeding.

At this point, since she ingested the mouse poison more then 2 hours ago we cannot induce vomiting to get it back out. She should be fine for the evening though I would recommend contacting your vet in the morning to have them possibly check some blood work on her to determine if she is at risk for excessive bleeding. Your vet may elect to just give her an antidote (Vitamin K) to prevent any risks of bleeding.

Overall, she really should be fine if the pellets are the smaller kind as this is not generally enough to cause any toxic effects, though I would always recommend being cautious and contact your vet in the morning to at least consider starting her some Vitamin K.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt and 4 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Dave,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


All is OK !

Great to hear! Thank you for the follow up.

Dr. Matt

Related Veterinary Questions