Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my vet prescribed clindacure for my dog but can I use it for

my vet prescribed clindacure for my dog but can I use it for a urinary tract infection for my cat, it cost me 300.00 this last week for my dog and now my cat is showing symptonsof a UTI, my dog didn't need it for what the vet thought might be the problem, and I have a bottle that hasn't been opened, please help
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
No, I would not use clindacure for a possible UTI in a cat. It is not generally the spectrum of activity for antibiotics we would use for a urinary tract problem.

Also, it may not be a UTI.
The symptoms of a urinary tract infection are almost identical to idiopathic cystitis (bladder wall inflammation), when there is no infection.

Urinary Tract Infection
Idiopathic Cystitis

I know you really really want to give something, but I would not use this medication in your cat at this point.

If your kitty is more frequently urinating, straining to urinate, or having blood in the urine, a simple urine test is well worth it!
If no bacteria, no antibiotics.
If bacteria, your vet "might" approve using that clindacure, but not likely.

Very sorry to hear about this complication for Halee. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Halee. How is everything going?