DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
47051559

Can anyone give me instruction on how to get my Guinea Pig

Can anyone give me instruction on how to get my Guinea Pig to stop BITING? Please understand that I'm talking real biting (drawing blood) NOT playful nibbling, nuzzling or licking -- I'm talking real serious biting on both of my arms! Since I am a diabetic, it is imperative that I break him from this habbit. He's about 2.5 months old and was bought at a local Petco.

Thank you!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Ralston.

Guinea pigs are defintely creatures of habit more than creatures of thought. It is hard to train a Guinea Pig to do anything they don't want to do.

However, the simplest and easiest way to get them to stop biting:

Pick up a bottle of Bitter Apple spray (or bitter orange) from PetCo or PetSmart. These are used to deter dogs and cats from licking and chewing on bandages or sometimes from chewing themselves near boredom sores.

Spray the areas you think that the Guinea Pig may try to bite with this spray. It is very bad tasting but safe to the pet.

When your pet bites this area, it will get the taste in it's mouth and this will deter it from trying this again. It might take a few different tries to get it right. Because of this, you might try wearing a long sleeve shirt you don't mind staining with the spray that might still protect your arms from the bites. And use the product on the material of the arms of the shirt.

This is pretty much the only way. There are other products out there as well, typically they will be described as for use in deterring pets from chewing bandages.

Other than that, you can't use other training methods with these guys. They won't for example substitue chewing on you for chewing on toys or treats.

HOWEVER, you should be sure that you have proper chewing toys for your Guinea in order for them to wear down their teeth. And you might need to have the teeth trimmed by your Veterinarian to keep them at their ideal length and less sharp!

DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience: Over twelve years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 year ago.
Hey there,
Just following up on our conversation on Just Answer from yesterday.

Have you had a chance to try out my suggestions? And more importantly did they work?

Did you have any questions for me? You should feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I don't mind. I'm here to help.

If I have helped don't forget to leave a positive review! :)

I might not be online when you return. That's ok. Just leave your question and a message will be sent to me and I will get back to you when I am online again.

Thanks,
DrRalston