Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my approx. 9mth old male cat has developed a lump on hip/hind

my approx. 9mth old male cat has developed a lump on hip/hind leg ...I first noticed it yesterday and it was about the size of a marble but it didn't seem to bother him . He just came in for dinner and I saw it has increased in size till it is now the size of a walnut . and it is now tender to touch but his disposition is good.. he is eating ok and purring .. could you please give me some advice ..thankyou
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Oscar's history, age and the progressive nature of this lump, I would be very suspicious that this lump is an abscess. Often these local bacterial infections are caused by our cat's getting into fights with other animals (usually other cats). And even if the wound the animal leaves isn't great (a nail scratch, a small puncture, etc.) these infections arise as they are able to inoculate the skin with bacteria that then festers until it becomes a rapidly growing lump. In regards XXXXX XXXXX this would be less likely here since we'd expect him to being showing signs of poisoning at this stage (since some critter would have already injected the poison into him).

Now since the lump is only to a stage where it is causing discomfort (often this is due to the skin being stretched thin and thus sore) but hasn't ruptured, you will be limited with what you can do at home.Therefore, it would be ideal to have him seen by his vet soon (not an emergency but once they are open). Small abscess like this can often be settled with a short course of antibiotics +/- kitty friendly pain relief. If left, these abscesses will tend to grow to points where either surgical lancing and draining or can rupture to form large wounds which would again require medical management.

Overall, considering Oscar's age, lack of serious signs, and this progressively growing sore lump, it is very likely that you are seeing a bacterial induced abscess. And since it isn't open and draining at this stage, the best course of action would be to have his vet dispense antibiotics and some cat safe pain relief to just nip this in the bud and settle the infection for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Dear Dr B,

thankyou I suspected the same thing but wanted to check . I appreciate your help and advice . have a great day Smile

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
You are very welcome & thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Have a great day,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Diana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?

Dr. B.