Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My 14 yr old cat has had a stroke while on Baytrill for kidney

My 14 yr old cat has had a stroke while on Baytrill for kidney infection Vet is treating her with Dexphosphate, not sure of spelling, what are the side effects of this med?

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

There are very few side effects of this medication. It will decrease the immune system a little bit however the drug is so short acting that few if any significant effects are seen. Dexamethasone in general can cause increased thirst, increased agitation, increased urination and possibly a little aggression but again it's in the system and out again in just a few hours so side effects are minimal if non-existent. It is an excellent choice for stroke.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan