Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I NEED YOUR HELP, MY COW GAVE BIRTH TO A DEAD CALF ,WHAT WAS

I NEED YOUR HELP, MY COW GAVE BIRTH TO A DEAD CALF ,WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the dead calf. The reasons for a cow to lose a calf are many and very difficult to definitively diagnose.

-If the calf was large and carried to term, there could have been problems with positioning that caused the calf to die during birth.

-If the calf was positioned normally, pre-term, and of normal size, bacterial and viral infections of the mother, or more commonly, infection that ascends up the vulva and infects the placenta could cause birth of a dead calf.

-If only one cow has produced a dead calf, it is probably an isolated incident and may not be worth pursuing. If more cows are aborting, an investigation is warranted. Submitting the fetus and placenta to a lab for necropsy (autopsy) may give you more information, but this must be done right away after delivery.

-Even with a necropsy, we often don't find a definitive cause for the dead calf in the absence of an outbreak and a lot of cows aborting.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know what questions you have.
Hi Vusi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ziyavuma. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus