Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Are banana peels poisonous to dogs? My dog ate four bananas

Are banana peels poisonous to dogs? My dog ate four bananas while I was at church -- peels and all.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the bananas?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know how long it has been.

We left the house at 8:30 and returned at 12 noon. The bananas were gone when we got home.

He does not seem to be in any distress and romped out the door as soon as we opened it. I just gave him a handful of kibble and he ate it eagerly.

He weighs 70 lbs +/-

Yes, we do have peroxide.

Banana peels are not toxic. But, they can become obstructed. He is a big dog so it is very possible he can pass them in the stool. I would recommend to go ahead and induce vomiting to be on the safe side. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the peels in the vomit change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the banana peels in the feces. Make sure you check the stool for the peels.

4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter