Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

This summer my 7 year old labradoodle had terrible acute pain

This summer my 7 year old labradoodle had terrible acute pain and within 3 days developed baseball size swollen areas on both sides of upper hips- not abdomen. Prednisone helped, now it is redeveloping and seems to have some swelling in sides of rib cage too. Started prednisone yesterday but local vet isn't sure why it is happening. No changes in dog, extremely healthy otherwise. Help!
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that Beau has this recurrent problem. How frustrating and concerning!

In order to treat this and expect that it won't come back, or know that this is something we can expect to recur from time to time, we need to know what is making up these swollen areas. Our options include: an infectious problem (bacteria or fungus, less likely because it responded to prednisone), hematomas, or other causes. The way to find out is to have your vet use a needle to obtain a sample of the area and look at it under the microscope. This can tell you what is inside the swellings and what can be done to treat them.

I would also recommend looking at some blood work on your dog, specifically a CBC. If there are too few platelets or your dog's immune system is destroying platelets, we can see hematomas form when we wouldn't normally expect them to (no history of trauma). These disorders are responsive to prednisone, and would have gotten better with treatment. Are there any little red spots on his gums or belly? Any bruising? This would be a clue, although it doesn't necessarily have to be there. Finding out is important, as these disorders impact blood clotting ability and we can see dangerous levels of bleeding either under the skin or outside the body.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know what questions or concerns you have.
Hi Carolynne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My local vet put him on prednisone again and he responded within 12 hours and all swelling and pain are gone. He said he has no idea why this is happening, aspirate is totally negative for blood, bacteria, etc. I was hoping for some insight, as vet said next time he needed to " see a specialist.". I don't want there to be another time...want to find cause before it can happen again.
Thank you I think this service has been wonderful.
I'm glad to be helpful. It's very good to hear that this appears to be readily responsive to prednisone! That suggests an inflammatory or immune system related process. Not even getting blood on an aspirate is surprising. A specialist might be able to tell you more about what is going on and whether you can expect to need to treat this from time to time or for it to go away entirely.