Munchiemeadows74337
Munchiemeadows74337, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

I have 7 year old Lilac rabbit.She has recently developed some

I have 7 year old Lilac rabbit.She has recently developed some dry skin around her neck area.She is an indoor bunny and is eating and drinking normally.She gets plenty of exercise.I have another rabbit that is a Netherland Dwarf that has been in with her for the entire 7 years that has no symptoms.They have never been housed outside.Thanks for any information you can give me.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Munchiemeadows74337 replied 8 months ago.

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Hi, this is Dr. Linda. Does the dry skin appear in one small area or is more widespread. Is she itchy & has there been any hair loss?

Customer:

It is mostly around her neck area where it is hard for her to get to herself.She has not been itching it and I have not seen any hair loss as of yet.

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Are both rabbits housed together?

Munchiemeadows74337 :

And if you try to pluck any hairs from the area, do they come out easily?

Customer:

Yes,they have been together since I got they 7 years ago.

Customer:

The hairs dont come out easily.It reminds me of a fungus my horses once got.

Customer:

The cage area is always clean and I use Carefresh Crinkles for bedding.They also have a 15x15 area to run.

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Ok, so we could have a couple of things going on. All of these are usually accompanied by some hair loss, but it maybe too early to see that. Sebaceous adenitis is the result of an immune-mediated attack against the skin's sebaceous glands, or it could be one of the common skin diseases seen in rabbits. You can try doing a couple of things. Using an anti-seborrheic shampoo, from your vet, or a Head and Shoulders type shampoo might help. Adding more essential fatty acid to the diet is a good idea ( a big name pet store should have these for rabbits ). And using a fungal medicine , something for athletes feet , would be OK too - especially since you say you have had fungal issues with your horses in the past. The only thing else you can try at home is to rub a little 1% hydrocortisone on the area daily. Be carefull with anything you rub on the skin just in case her cagemate finds it tasty. If none of these help, you will need to see your vet for skin scrapes & possibly a skin biopsy, especially if the area gets progressively worse. I hope this helps.

Customer:

Thank you!

Munchiemeadows74337 :

You are welcome. Please do not forget to rate my answer so I may receive credit for it. Thank you.

Munchiemeadows74337, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.