Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

Hi there - I handled an injured seagull this morning and than

Hi there - I handled an injured seagull this morning and than found out that they are carriers of superbugs/bacteria. What do I reasonably need to do to protect myself and my cats?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. The best thing to do after handling any animal (bird, dog, cat, reptile, etc…) is to thoroughly wash your hands with warm water and a good hand soap. Doing this prior to contacting any other pets is ultimately the best thing to eliminate / greatly reduce the transmission of bacteria, insects, or viruses. As far as this injured seagull specifically passing on a bacterial infection to another animal, it would be pretty unlikely unless they were in direct contact with it. Does this make sense?