Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a 4 year old Husky. She has, over the last 24 hours

I have a 4 year old Husky. She has, over the last 24 hours become lathargic. This is not like her. She seems still interested in her food. I am concerned that she may have eaten something toxic. Is there anything I should look for?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that Mocha isn't feeling well.

At home, you can continue to monitor her. Look at her gums to make sure they are pink and moist, and allow her to have her food and water as she normally would. Watch her to see if she develops vomiting or diarrhea, or if she has any changes in her mentation. This means making sure she seems appropriately bright and responsive to you. If she seems dull, or isn't responding to you normally, that is a bad sign.

A couple of things to consider--
-If you're concerned at all, your vet may be able to rule out illnesses other than having eaten something toxic with some fairly simple bloodwork.

-Your vet can also treat your dog with charcoal and fluids to counteract any toxins before they cause signs.

-If you are worried about rat poison or antifreeze, you should seek care right away, as we get much better results from treating right away. If we wait until signs develop, we aren't as successful with our treatments.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.