Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

i have a fire shrimp in my 29 gallon biocube tank and for

i have a fire shrimp in my 29 gallon biocube tank and for a few days now hes been on his side unable to move his front legs. hes in there with 2 clowns a xenia and a zoanthid. any ideas as to what i can do to help him or what i should do?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear your shrimp isn't doing well.

The first thing I'd suggest for you to do is to test your water. Shrimp are more sensitive than fish to changes in water quality, so if there is something wrong in your system, the shrimp may be a sort of sentinel for the rest of the tank. Especially check your iodine, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium levels, because disruption of these can interrupt molting and cause shrimp problems.

I'd also suggest removing him from the main tank and into a smaller "hospital tank" if possible. Even fish that normally coexist peacefully will bother a tank mate that is ill or injured, and if your shrimp has an infection, it will help keep it from spreading to your other fish.

You may have some success with over the counter antibiotics added to the hospital tank to treat your shrimp. However, these little guys are fragile, and once they start showing clinical symptoms, they often don't survive in spite of the very best care.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.