How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19120
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gave my dog about 4-5 red grapes yesterday and she had no

This answer was rated:

I gave my dog about 4-5 red grapes yesterday and she had no problems. I gave her about 4-5 red grapes about 20 minutes ago and she seems fine. I googled it and I just learned these can be very poisonous to dogs and cause kidney failure? Obviously, I won't be giving here these anymore. Do I need to take any action tonight or tom which is veteran's day given she wasn't affected by them last night? She's a 20 pound XXXXX XXXXX terrier mix.

Hello and welcome.


This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.


Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.


Regards,


Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, I can make the following general comments based on my past experience of just such cases over the years :

1. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is this, while grapes can be very toxic to dogs but they usually have to eat a fair number before they will be seriously affected, more than your dog ate.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic grape dose for dogs is 0.1 oz/kg and this equals around 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Going on this your dog should be fine.

You can check this information HERE

2. Grape toxicity is a strange toxin though and is little understood some dogs only eat a relatively small amount and have problems, but others can eat lots and suffer no ill effects, but as I said your dog should be fine. Read the symptoms etc. HERE

3. You should however try and limit your dog's access to grapes in the future as much as possible though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,


Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful to know the lowest documented level is 10 and it seems lke she will be ok.


 


She seems fine and if anything is acting more hyper than most nights right now. Although, she gets like this occassionally since she's a 4-5 yr old XXXXX XXXXX terrier mix. Some other sites mentioned hyperactivity - is this anything to watch out for relating to grape toxicity

Hello again,

Glad to talk things over with you further ...

I have never known dogs become hyperactive due to grape toxicity, where this was to become a problem the opposite was true, these dogs became lethargic and dull.

Chances are your Jack mix will be fine ...

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo and 3 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Anonymous,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Nimmo

Related Veterinary Questions