petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My six year old terrier mix has stopped eating and drinking.

My six year old terrier mix has stopped eating and drinking. I can coax him to eat a little, but he isn't showing any interest. His bowel movements are normal to slightly pasty and orange. He is lethargic, but responsive, still enjoying walks and visits from concerned friends. This has been going on for 5 days. He has been to the vet. The blood and urine tests are normal except for indicating dehydration, a barium xray showed no blockage, but another xray did show some cloudiness in the lungs, although he isn't coughing or showing any breathing distress, he has no fever, he tested negative for lyme, he shows no sign of tenderness when limbs are manipulated, teeth and gums look normal. 2 days ago he had IV fluids to treat dehydration, was given mirtazapine to stimulate appetite and metronidazole as a prophylactic antibiotic. My question is, what do I do next? Any ideas for further tests? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Griffin today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

It sounds as if Griffin has had a thorough work up. It is likely that there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well. Most of the time with the symptoms you describe, the most likely location of the problem is the GI tract. My recommendation for the next step would be to have an ultrasound of his abdomen. This will evaluate the organs differently than an xray is able to do and abnormalities of the GI tract or pancreas may be more evident.

A low grade pancreatitis is a condition that could explain his symptoms. A routine blood panel will not screen for pancreatitis and a more specific test called a PLI or a spec-cPL needs to be requested. The treatment for pancreatitis is symptomatic, so you may find that he improves after his latest treatment and a few days, but if not if his symptoms progress, I would pursue further testing. Here is a link with more information about pancreatitis. LINK HERE

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

I was just following up on Griffin. Is he eating any better for you?

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address for you.

Dr Z