Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog had an abscess in her paw. This was surgically flushed last thursay and she has a d

My dog had an abscess in her paw. This was surgically flushed last thursay and she has a drain which is suposed to come out tomorrow. However, she managed to break the stitch holding the drain and now it is falling out. Can i pull the drain out
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Christian K. :

Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is there much drainage from the wound and what does it look like?

Customer:

there is no drainage...very clean

Customer:

no drainage

Dr. Christian K. :

That's great. I think it's fine to remove the drain then. Have her checked by your vet tomorrow regardless.

Customer:

do i ust pull it out.

Dr. Christian K. :

Just grab the end and gently pull. Some veterinarians will put a stitch at the top to keep the drain in so if it won't pull out then just leave it for your vet tomorrow.

Customer:

the stitch that held broke and the drain came out about a half inch from where it was initially. i just wanted to make sure there was typically no internal stitch that may complicate pulling it the rest of the way

Dr. Christian K. :

If there is an internal stitch it won't come out easily. If there isn't one then it should easily come out when you pull it. Just don't tug too hard.

Customer:

i think i'll just leave it tonight...but if it falls out and/or she fusses wth it a pulls it out herself, is there typicallya hole leftover that needs to be bandaged? if so, then maybe i should get it out now and bandage?

Dr. Christian K. :

It won't hurt to leave it alone. Once the drain is pulled the hole is typically left alone with a bandage and closes up in a few days. Bandaging isn't needed.

Customer:

i'm done...thank you!

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. Good luck.

Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior