Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKT TO SEE SOME RESULTS FROM TREATMENT

HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKT TO SEE SOME RESULTS FROM TREATMENT AND HOW OFTEN SHOULD IT BE DONE? THIS IS FOR ACUPUNCTURE
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, it depends a bit on the definitive diagnosis, as to which complementary therapies are going to help and how much. Generally, I have seen acupuncture results within just a few treatments. More importantly, I would expect improvement quickly because you are doing some complementary therapies as well.

Also, if only using tramadol for pain, I would ask your vet the following questions:
1. Could we also try adding on some gabapentin for neurologic pain?
2. If painful, could we increase the Tramadol to three times a day?
3. Lastly, if non-responding, you could request a transfer to a neurologist for a second opinion.

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

I know some acupuncture courses can be several weeks long or even permanent on a regular basis, but that is really only if you are observing specific benefits from it.

One more thing:
Again, depending on the diagnosis, I would strongly consider adding on some type of either steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.

Very sorry to hear about this concern for Beau. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.