Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about your fellow vomiting 7 times and licking the carpet.
Licking the carpet is definitely a sign of nausea.
It is possible that eating whatever dropped on the floor as your son was emptying his plate could have led to his nausea and vomiting. If he is just getting over a stomach bug his gastrointestinal system could be extra sensitive still and react to anything different that he eats with vomiting.
My concern is that normally the stomach empties 1 to 2 hours after eating so the fact that he is vomiting 4 hours later means that his gastrointestinal tract is moving much slower then normal or that he ate something that is causing a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction.
Vomiting/retching in a dog can be from several causes. Common ones are a quick change in diet, too many treats, especially fatty or spicy treats, eatings things they should not such as things found in the yard, toy pieces or garbage, viral or bacterialor parasitic infections. More serious causes include chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or eveninfiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
At this point we can try some things at home but he may need to see a veterinarian if he isn't coming along well.
To try and settle his stomach now you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from eating something he should not have.I would not feed him any food for 12 to 24 hours even after the acid reducers are started.This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.
Starting a couple hours after the acid reducers small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with vomiting.
You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his intestinal irritation worse.
If things are going well after his food fast and the acid reducers start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixedwith 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. Once he feels better (no vomiting for 48 to 72 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
If your fellow is continuing to vomit and is feeling poorly though, especially if he is acting very lethargic, it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.
If he has a tense painful abdomen, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting again even with the acid reducers, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Best of luck with your little one, please let me know should you have any further questions.
Than kyou very much for this quick and thorough answer. I am not sure that he ate the corn 4 hours ago though, that was just an estimate when my son must have dropped it next to the trash... He might have gotten it later on.. I will definately do all you recommend. Thank you so much!!! Greetings to you!
You are very welcome. Hopefully it was later then that and he just has a little slower then normal motility from his previous infection.
Please let me know how things go for him or if you have any further questions.
Thank you for the positive rating, I hope your little one bounces back quickly for you,