EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years of experience..
63977546

Hi, My goldfish was bloated and her was white stringy

My goldfish was bloated and her poop was white stringy or thick...I overfed her. After conversing with Dr. B on this website, I have been feeding her only one baby pea in the morning and one in the afternoon. It has been a week, and her bloating has gone down. Her poop is still a little thick and short, not longer and thinner. I don't know if I should just keep feeding her peas or do I need to take another approach? I'm worried to make a mistake (as I already have by overfeeding in the first place). Thank you for your help.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  EmergencyVets replied 11 months ago.

EmergencyVets :

Hello my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

You can continue this feeding for another week before beginning to do VERY small feedings with your normal food.. If you have not done a water change please do a 50 % change today and then another 50 % change in one week.. As the bloating reduces further and she is back to normal appearing daily life - you can then do a pea in the morning and a small amount of regular food in the evening - Sounds like you understand about the amount that "should be fed" .. Hope this helps.. Dr. Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't know when to start feeding her normally again. What signs should I look for? What should her poop look like and how quickly would she go after a feeding? She is only slightly bloated - should I see absolutely no little sign of it? Should I try another Epsom salt crystal in with her pea? If that is good for the problem, how often can that be done? Is a pea good for her every day even after her constipation is solved? I felt the first answer gave no detail and I asked for a high level answer---I'm looking for every indication to know when I can start feeding normally again. It's been a week of only one pea in the morning and one at night. My goldfish is active and acting normally but is looking desperate for food. I don't want to starve her either :( PS-I don't know if you will see my original question...my goldfish is constipated, from my overfeeding :( and I have been giving her one baby pea in the morning and one in the afternoon for a week. She is better and pooping again but the poop is short and thick or stringy. Thank you for your help.

I am hear to make sure you have all your questions answered before you rate my service.. SO I am very happy you had further questions with regards XXXXX XXXXX recovery. Please continue to ask your questions and then once satisfied go ahead and rate our conversations BUT not until you are satisfied with it :)

I would continue the pea twice daily for another 7 days ( by that point she should look like herself again and there should be no signs of any issues)- from there do a pea in the morning and a small amount of food in the evenings. ( at this point you will want to keep an eye out for repeat distention - make sure scales are not sticking out from the body - make sure she has good appetite ) When feeding regular food - avoid dried high protein foods(flakes) - and if you use a pellet - pre-soak it before feeding it.

Once recovered - you can provide a pea in replacement of a meal three times a week to keep good GI health. Also Foods with lots of fiber could be introduced, such as zucchini, squash, spinach, romaine lettuce, peas (already done), and grated carrots.

As far as poop goes -

1)The poop is long but the same color as the food you
feed them but it trails the fish. This fish is fed to much and is a little
constipated. Fish shouldnt be feed for three days.

2) Good healthy poop should be the same color as what you have
feed them. The poop should be short to medium length and not be trailing the
fish for long lengths of time.

3) Same color as there food but its thin and long. This normally caused by stress and not eating well. Fish should be closely watched.

4) There isnt any color to the poop and there is air trapped in the poop. This is signs of constipation, the food isnt being prossed in the fish. Fish should be not feed for three days and then feed nothing but peas for three days.

I hope this helps.. :) If you still have further questions please do not hesitate to ask !! I am heart o help you get her through this.. Once satisfied I hope you will undo my Poor rating and re-rate this conversation..

I am sorry for the lack of detail prior and hope that this gets you what you need.. Best of luck Dr. Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Should I try an Epsom salt crystal in the pea again...she hadn't pooped at all since the pea this morning (that I noticed).

She is desperate for food for the past 2 days...is this normal or is she really hungry now and will she be ok with 2 peas a day?

Should flakes or pellets be fed at all, or is there a better "regular" food once she is ready for that? Do they need that kind of nutrition in their diet?

Thank you for your help. I'm worried about her, and am beside myself that I caused this by overfeeding, and want to get her back in good health.

Don't worry - you will get her there, but it can take a bit of time to get them perfect.. You can do the Epsom salt crystal in the pea again -that is ok.. She will be fine with a pea twice a day.. I would avoid flakes and do pellets ( the nutrition is good- just have to limit the amount. )- but pre-soak them prior to giving - and limit the amount given and try to add in the higher fiber items I listed before.. I promise another week with pea twice a day will not hurt her and only help. Once the bloating is resolved - start the next feeding steps - and she will be on the road to continued recovery and good long term management.. Dr. Chad
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years of experience..