Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

How did my gerbil become blind?

How did my gerbil become blind?

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Does the cloudiness seem to be on the surface of his eye or in the pupil?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't see in the eye. It is closed 90% of the way.

Thanks for the information. Has he been keeping the eye 90% closed since it became cloudy?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, he just opened it again! ha ha This has happened a lot lately though. He only keeps the one closed. No cloudiness

If he has been holding one eye closed and it is intermittently cloudy then likely he has an ulcer on his eye. This can happen due to him scratching an eye with his claw, rubbing it on items in his cage or viruses or bacteria that can be brought in by humans or float on the air. This can be confirmed quite easily with a vet doing a cheap staining test and prescribing the correct eye drops. If you have human artificial tears eye drops you can use those 2x daily until you can visit the vet.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Hi Holly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chub Chub. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is doing great. He has a new wheel, been cleaning out his cage every couple days instead of every two weeks. Didn't need to put drops in his eyes at all. Think he may have been a little lazy and bored since his other wheel broke. Thank you soo much! I would suggest this site to anyone!