Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

one of my 11 hens is sick. symptoms - lame in both legs, not

one of my 11 hens is sick. symptoms - lame in both legs, not laying, loss of feathers on belly, comb is shrunk and blackish
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that your hen is not doing well. Moving her inside and away from the other birds was an excellent idea, and I'm glad you went ahead and did that. While the warm water soaks and vent massage are good remedies for egg binding, the symptoms your hen is showing sound more consistent with an infectious disease than with egg binding.

There are a number of important bacterial and viral diseases in chickens that can result in pain and swelling in joints, feather loss, and inflammation of blood vessels in the comb that can change its appearance and even cause the comb to die. Treating with tetracycline dissolved in the bird's water may be helpful in some cases-- you can generally find this at your local feed store. Good supportive care such as that you are providing is also important.

Ultimately, it sounds as if your hen is quite ill. If you have a veterinarian in your area who has experience with chickens, a physical exam and potential infectious disease testing can help point you in the direction of the most effective treatment. Your veterinarian may also be able to administer medication that is more effective or faster acting than what you can get at the feed store or supply at home. In birds like chickens that hide their symptoms to avoid predators and are often sicker than they appear, this can be the difference between survival and succumbing to disease, so if it is an option, I'd encourage you to pursue it sooner rather than later.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did take her to the vet today. he found she had an injury that I didn't see that had become infected. she's been given an antibiotic shot and prescribed topical antibiotic for the wound. he also said I need to keep her separated from the flock. Thank you for your advice - it was spot on.