Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My 14 year old Springer is very trim and active but has started

My 14 year old Springer is very trim and active but has started waking up at night. Never had a accident on the floor. After settling back down usually sleeps til the am. is there a safe sleep aid that might help him?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

45 lbs

no meds or conditions

just had all his shots

Glenn, you can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25-50mg 2-3 hours before bed time, you can buy benadryl over the counter in any human pharmacy. If this behavior continues to happen after being on Benadryl I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian as it could be an indication of an underlying medical problem.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter