Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I am being told that if this is what they find, they will NOT

I am being told that if this is what they find, they will NOT perfrom surgery as it causes more danger than does good. Is this true? I have a boston

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

What are your vets looking for?

What are the symptoms?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has always been a LOUD dog w/elongated palate. I came home last week and she was almost falling over. Tongue out, ... legs giving out, .. lethargic. They have looked at neck (ultrasound) and heart. They are now doing a Laryngeal exam + bronchoscopy and CT of cervical. They say if she has "collapse" it will do her more harm to snip the palate as it causes swelling and dog's tend to go downhill.... They are hoping it is something more simple (some type of bubble that forms?) But, .. if they don't do procudure......... what can I expect?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that information...

I find it hard to understand that, at Sadie's age, that the elongated palate has not caused these problems before this. For this reason, this collapse may not be due to Sadie not getting enough air due to this elongated palate, Sam.

Your vet is correct that snipping the palate now may cause Sadie more problems then it is worth although, if this does turn out to be the source of her problem, possibly from scar tissue that has developed over the years, this will have to be done. Not all dogs that have this procedure do not do well...some do great.

These symptoms could also be caused by an unstable disc in Sadie's neck and this can be treated or corrected surgically, Sam.

Wait until the source is found and then worry about options for your precious Sadie, Sam. No need to worry yet.

Does that make sense to you, Sam?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX