Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hi, my dog has started to excessively lick things for the past

Hi, my dog has started to excessively lick things for the past week or so.
She's licked me more than usual, licks the bed, herself more than usual, the couch and basically anything she can get her tongue on.
Can you tell me why she is doing this?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Sookie's condition. Excessive licking is quite often a behavior that accompanies a sore throat in dogs. The movement of the back of the tongue when licking rubs the throat tissues and bring a bit of relief, so they continue to try to comfort themselves by doing this. If she'll let you, open her mouth, press down on her tongue to hold it out of the way, and look at the back of her throat. If it's redder than her gums are, it's most likely the source of the licking. Things like irritating chemicals, prickly weeds, bones of any kind, infections etc., can all cause damage to the delicate tissues of the throat and the licking behavior is a common response.
Aspirin is effective in dogs, and you may be able to provide her some relief today by giving her one baby aspirin (81 mg) per ten pounds body weight, every 6 hours as needed. If the licking stops, you'll know that a sore throat was almost certainly the cause. If Sookie doesn't stop the licking today, or starts again tomorrow as the aspirin wears off, I would recommend taking her to your veterinarian for a checkup. The weekend is coming, and although this is not likely to be a serious or life-threatening condition, she shouldn't be allowed to be this uncomfortable any longer than necessary. If you should have any further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Bob and thank you very much for the quick reply.

From what I was able to see, I didn't see any redness but will get some baby aspirin to see if that helps any.

There is a possibility she could be pregnant, so could that attribute to the excessive licking at all?

She is due for a check up soon but if I have to expedite that, I have no problem doing so.

Again, thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
You're most welcome!
Hormones can certainly cause some unusual behavior, and licking could possibly be one, but I've never seen it or read about it as a typical sign of pregnancy. Hopefully she'll straighten out on the aspirin and be more comfortable, but as I wrote earlier, if the behavior returns or persists, a checkup would be a wise option.
If I may be of any further assistance to you, now or in the future, please let me know.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice