Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

puppy fever

puppy fever
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I saw that you had been helped previously. Do you still have further questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have a 12 1/2 week old 7 lb female beagle puppy that was tested pos. for parvo on Monday the 28th . I am self employed and work is slow so I have to try and save this little angel on my own . I have been giving her pedialyte for three days and a blended chicken and rice .Her hydration seems good . Mooky is her name and she was responding very well until this afternoon she came down with a fever I have it down to 103.4right now . She seems to be shaking quite a bit also . Is this normal with this terrible virus ? What can I do ?

Yes, that is common to have a fever with Parvo. Parvo will suppress the immune system, so we can have secondary infections. We can also have inflammation in the gut. Both of these can lead to a fever.

Ideally she should be on antibiotics. I hope your vet sent some home with you. If not, then I would call to see if they can call in some to a pharmacy- Cephalexin or Metronidazole would be good.

I would continue to syringe feed Pedialyte + a blended diet every 4-6 hours. I would add some puppy food to the chicken/ rice. It'll have more calories and fat that the intestinal cells need. I also like Gatorade for these puppies. It's similar to Pedialyte, but it's more palatable.

Best of luck, unfortunately we only get ~ 30-50% survival rates with at home treatment of parvo. There is still a chance to pull her through, though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well this morning the fever is up again but no shaking this time . I have just given her some pedialyte and will be feeding her soon .I will trying to cool her down in the bath . The stool is still very loose / runny but only maybe a trace once in a while of blood .

This is day four . How long can this go on ?

Do not try to cool her down in a bath. I know it seems like a good idea, but it actually makes things worse. A fever is there for a reason, that is the body trying to fight off an infection. The temperature set point in the brain is higher than normal. If you cool her down in a bath, then the body has to work that much harder to get up to the set point temperature. You're just making the body work twice as hard. It actually helps more to put a blanket on these dogs- then they don't have to work as hard.

These guys typically take 5-7 days to get over Parvo.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The no bath idea seams the right way to go but I remain confused because the vet that tested her says cold bath . If that's the case and a blanket should be used , how high can she tolerate ? She is at 105 .

I am trying my hardest to help this little one get back to health . If I was working more she would be at the vet right now .

I will check on antibiotics this morning .

Thanks ,

I don't do any active cooling until they go over 106. This concept difference between a fever and true hyperthermia is one that many don't fully understand. We cool hyperthermia dogs, not fever dogs.

You really need antibiotics to get the fever down. Get that done asap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would it be harmful to add a little syrup to her chicken and rice ? Maybe a pick me up so to speak .

Yes, adding some sugar would be helpful. You can do this with honey, maple syrup or Karo Syrup even.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mixed some syrup in the chicken and rice . I had to pretty much fight her to get the food down but it is done .I hope it peps her at least a little bit . I have been giving her 15 to 20ml of food per feeding . I also give her pedialyte at the same time . ( 10-12ml ) Is that enough ? Which she will drink with not problem .

Please for give all the questions but I just want to make sure I do ALL that I can do with what I have .

I am off to get her a prescription .

Thanks you ,

That is a good amount of food and pedialyte to give. I would do that every 4-6 hours. Once the antibiotics are started and her fever breaks, you should see her attitude start to improve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sadly my Vet has not called me back about the prescription . I think I need to start using a new one .

I guess if I can't afford to keep my puppy at the clinic for a week I and my puppy are not good enough . Pretty sad when the money means more !

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can get a vet in the area to see her and get the meds started soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had to go and tell them I needed something NOW . I was able to get Flagyl . Really a dumb scene if you ask me . I would have thought the vet would have at the very least prescribed something when she was tested pos. on Monday . I don't get it .

Anyway I gave her some at 2:00 and will be giving here more before I go to sleep (12:00-1:00 )

Also her fever has came down quite a bit . It was as high as 105.9 and now is 103.3 . That was a rough ride for sure . I hope she continues to get better from her on out . I need to sleep !

I probably did not mention that there are four more Beagle puppies here . I have kept them away and have been cleaning and bleaching and cleaning and bleaching and ...well you get the idea .

. This has been a hell of a ride so far . I sure hope it is almost over .

I want to thank you for your time .

Sincerely ,

Good, Flagyl (aka Metronidazole) is a good pick. That's my go to antibiotic for Parvo pups.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mooky. How is everything going?