Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

what could cause an adolescent bird to act drunk and have seemingly

what could cause an adolescent bird to act drunk and have seemingly paralysis in their legs and shake their heads as if to clear something off it? no sign of breathing difficulty.
Submitted: 10 months ago via AvianWeb.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of George's condition. How long has he been showing these signs?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

about 3 days. scared he die if no treatment soon.i pick him up every morning and put him where other birds cant get to him. they try to peck him I guess to try to kill him. otherwise, he was developing normally. no other symptoms I can tell.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you, Tammy.
I was in surgery when your reply came in, sorry.
Has he been exposed to any new birds in the past two months?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes.about 2 mos. ago we acquired a few more birds that a woman was in need of getting rid of due to family emergency.she acquired them from a well known hatchery and hand raised them. all the others seem fine. He has good appetite

and just keeps falling over like his balance is off and his legs cant support him. he's a domineque and seemed to be getting quite big.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you. I apologize again for the delay in replying to you, I've off for lunch break.
It's possible that he was exposed to a disease that affect their ability to walk like Newcastle disease, but the time lag between your acquisition of the newer birds and the appearance of his symptoms is much longer than would be expected if they were carriers. Newcastle cannot be ruled out at this point, but wild birds and other possible sources of infection must be considered. Do his legs or feet show any signs of swelling, or discoloration, especially the joints, or is the inability to move normally his only symptom?
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

his feet seem like they are trying to curl under like atrophying or something. seems like whatever it is neurological maybe? not sure though ?.nor do I know the cause or cure if there is one ?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try to walk on the feet with his toes curled, and if so, does he walk on the sides of his feet or walk on the curled toes?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sometime he can straighten them out but other times he cant seem to and tries to walk on his toes curled up and then he flops over to his side

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Does he lay with one leg pointed forward and one back, like he's doing the splits?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no he doesn't .he tries to keep both feet under him

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Does he walk while rocked back on his hocks (ankles)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes I think he does while trying to get his balance which he doesn't seem to be able to do so he flops onto his side

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX earlier that he had gained weight rapidly, does he look like his legs may simply be too weak to carry his bodyweight?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Tammy, I must attend a meeting for the next 90 minutes or so. Hopefully another expert will be able to build on what we've done so far while I'm gone, but if not, I'll check back once I return and we'll try to get to the bottom of George's problem.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok. I appreciate what you've tried to help me with. don't think he got too big for his legs to support him though. hes also shaking his head like a jerking motion. thanks for your time and caring .just don't want him or others to die. like pets to me

Customer: replied 10 months ago.