Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my miniature Australian shepherd is not even one year old and

my miniature Australian shepherd is not even one year old and he weighs 50 pounds. I feel like I was lied to from the breeder because I told them I wanted a dog that weighed about 35 at maturity. I love my dog but he is more dog than I intended to have and they charged me $3000 for him!
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It doesn't sound like your breeder was very forthcoming when describing the breed to you. Australian shepherd males will typically weigh in the 50-60 lb range. Females will typically come in around 30-40 lb. I think you probably should have purchased a female if that was the weight range you wanted to stay in.

I know they are being called "miniature" Australian Shepherds. There is not actually a breed "miniature australian shepherd." They call them miniature because they are breeding smaller Aussies to shoot for a smaller litter. It's kind of like taking the runts of litters and breeding them together to call is a new breed.

If you think he's too much dog for you, you could alway see if they'll let you trade for a smaller female. Otherwise, I think you just have to deal with an extra 15 lbs of love!