Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat had a neck wound from a bite. I hade it treated twice

My cat had a neck wound from a bite. I hade it treated twice at Vets. Each time with antibiotic shot. She scratches until its a bloody mess. I tried neosporia spray and this morning made a turtleneck from a sock, cutting holes for feat. This is a little dangerious but it will never heal if she wont stop scratching, what can I do next?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. '

1- Where exactly is the scratch; upper, mid or lower neck?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

upper, just under chin

Constance, I agree with you; if Annie continues to scratch it is going to delay healing. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from scratching affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Constance,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie Gingersnap. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter