Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my parakeet is 14 years old and has recently become puffy,

my parakeet is 14 years old and has recently become puffy, not as active, he is still eating but stays by his mirror most of the time is he sick or passing?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that your parakeet isn't feeling well.

Parakeet lifespans are highly variable. While pets live 5-8 years, some lines live up to 15-20 years. Regardless, your bird is a senior citizen.

Becoming puffy and less active are signs of illness in birds. Passing strictly due to advanced age usually isn't preceeded by symptoms. This makes make think that your bird may be ill. Whether it is an infection that could be treated with antibiotics or it is an age-related disease (such as heart or liver failure or cancer) that can't be effectively treated would require a physical exam to find out. I would recommend a trip to a veterinarian who routinely sees birds to listen to his heart and lungs and maybe do a little bloodwork. This could give you more information about what the problem is and what you can do to most effectively treat him (or keep him comfortable if treatment isn't a possibility).

At home, keep him in a warm room. You can put a pan of water under his cage to keep the humidity up and encourage him to groom and preen normally. Putting the food and water dishes in the bottom of the cage is sometimes helpful, because then he doesn't have to use energy to perch in order to eat and drink. Try to keep him as low-stress as you can.

Please do bear in mind that birds often hide their symptoms to avoid predators, so he may be sicker than he looks.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus