Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 4 year old miniature wont stand up this morning, its as

My 4 year old miniature won't stand up this morning, its as if his legs won't spport him. He was completely fine during the night. He is shivering, doesn't feel hot, and no gatro-intestinal symptoms.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog is in the grey zone on which way to treat. The neuro exam will help guide therapy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Did you get your dog to the vet? What did they find?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This website is really difficult to follow, quite honestly, and I worry that every time I respond I get charged a further sum. I have sent further info, but you don't seem to have received it. Murphy is improving, and it was unusual , so if you genuinally want to know the outcome, and it won't cost me to fill you in, you can email me again. You were way off the mark though!

I'm sorry you're having issues with the site. You are only charged once for your question.

I did not get the further info that you sent. I only get the information on this thread.

I'm glad he's improving and it wasn't a disc. That's great. What was going on with him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got him to the vets, and was asked to put him on the scales, the staff were surprised that he really couldn't stand, and were nice to us as I guess they thought I'd exaggerated on the phone. Anyway, the vet found normal temp, heart, lungs etc fine, but kept him for neuro examination and blood tests. She phoned me a couple of hours later to say that his bloods were normal, neuro stuff all ok, reflexes, sensation etc. Murphy had been given a steroid/painkiller injection, and was now able to stand. Very good news, still no clue why. Brought him home last night, today he has frank blood in his stool, actually, diorhoea. So I'm guessing he was in acute pain yesterday, and just refused to stand, just wanted to curl up in the foecal position. He showed no particular pain on examination. He surprised the vetinary surgery, he looked like a 'gonna', but he managed to disguise his real problem, unfortunately. I'm sure the young vet has learnt to look more laterally in future!!! Anyway, feeding him on mild stuff, promax, and have meloxidyl. My problem is not with your diagnosis, its more with the website, you can't access the answers you give, and you obviously don't receive further communication.

Hmm, interesting. It actually does sound like they treated for a disc herniation. Typically we treat with anti-inflammatories and pain meds. I prefer non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds, but others will use steroids.

The important thing is that he's walking now and improving.

The diarrhea with blood was probably secondary to the steroid use and stress. That usually resolves on it's own over a day or two.

I'm sorry about the site issues. I've been able to see what you post here on my end. I wonder if you accidentally started a new thread as opposed to posting as a reply earlier- that would prevent me from seeing it. I know it can be a little confusing at times.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What rating do you think you deserve?? Personally, as a nurse practitioner in an emergency eye centre, I can't believe that a herniated disc would resolve overnight, given that I did not top up pain relief this morning, as he was so much better. But I am an eye nurse!! As for my confusion over the site fluency, I work with medical software. Anyway, have a good day, let me know, I will click on it. Incidentally, you never asked for further details about Murphy.

I think I provide excellent care, be it on this site and at my practice. That's what I strive for.

You're right, a disc herniation does not typically resolve overnight. Getting the inflammation down and the pain under control is often enough to resolve a lot of the signs. That usually occurs over 3-5 days, but some do improve faster. Honestly, we'll never know what happened. It may have been a muscle pull or some other soft tissue injury as well.

Take care, sorry for all the confusion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Personally, I think Murphy's a drama queen, he's an ex breeders dog with lots of neurotic ways because of mistreatment for the first two years of his life. Anyway, I will rate you highly, but the smiley faces have disappeared, so send it back my way one more time, I will just click. But don't sell your soul to this awful website.

Fair enough!