Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

Hamster illness

It looks if my hamster has internal bleeding, there is coming blood out of his nose. What can I do to stop the bleeding? It seems he has trouble with breathing

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about your hamster. At this point, the best thing that you can do is keep him quiet. Don't try to handle him or wipe the blood from his nose as long as he's actively bleeding or for several hours after. We don't want to disrupt any blood clot that might be forming to allow the bleeding to stop.

With an animal that small, there's little that can be done to help stop the bleeding. We don't have the capability to give a hamster a transfusion, and they have so little blood to start with that they can get into trouble quite quickly. It is possible that he has a bleed that is originating up in his sinuses or within his nose. That would be better than a bleed deep within a body cavity. In this case, the breathing trouble you hear may just be congestion from the blood inside his nose, and the bleeding may stop and the breathing trouble resolve.

If he's in distress, I'd advise you to take him to a vet right away, but I fear that the vet will only be able to offer you euthanasia.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.