Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a few of the round worm (white needle size worms) that

I have a few of the round worm (white needle size worms) that one of questions was about 11 months ago, in some of my Chuckar. what type of medication can be used to ride them of this
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that the worms are back! Are your chukars free range or raised on the ground? If so, I think that the problem might be less one of not ridding the birds of parasites and more that they are re-infecting themselves through normal feeding behavior. Chukars are more susceptible to worms than chickens are, so it's not unusual to see them develop problems even when other species appear fine.

Albendazole (20 mg/kg, 2 doses given a week apart) is the dewormer that is most likely to kill all the species of worms that chukars get. However, if the basic dewormer you used before eliminated your symptoms, using it again is reasonable.

To keep the worms from coming back, you have a couple of options. You can either raise the birds up off the ground in wire cages (this eliminates re-infection, but is not something many owners want to do, as they (with validity) feel the birds are happier and generally healthier on the ground.) Alternatively, you can routinely deworm your birds every 6 months, or send stool samples to the lab every 6 months to look for worm eggs and see if you need to retreat.

Most parasites complete stages of their life cycle in different hosts: in this case, the adult worm in the chukar, and the immature, infective stages in worms, beetles, and other insect food sources the birds eat. It's not possible to deworm the insects, but if you can get your birds on a program to break the cycle, you can keep the parasites under control.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.