Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

My male neutered cat, 14 years old, was lethargic this morning,

My male neutered cat, 14 years old, was lethargic this morning, I thought he might be constipated. He is just lying in his bed and makes no attempt to play, or interact as he usually does. He just now vomited up a pink foXXXXX XXXXXquid, and went right back to his bed. I do have an appointment with his vet for a general checkup on Monday, 10-28-13. He has been well up until this morning. He is an indoor cat. Do I need to take him to an emergency vet or can this wait until Monday, 3 pm.
Thanks! Leni
Hi there,

I'm so sorry that Shadow isn't feeling well! If he was just vomiting once, I'd tell you that you could continue to monitor and wait until Monday, but the lethargy and change in behavior makes me concerned. I'd advise you to go ahead and take him into an emergency vet if possible. A little bloodwork could go a long way toward getting an answer, and if it is simply constipation, treating him now could be much easier than it will be if he continues to become dehydrated until Monday.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Shadow is perky this morning and acting normally. I wonder if he didn't find something with red dye or somesuch in it. The piece of paper I used to mop up the pinkish foam (I saved it in a plastic bag) is almost white now. Thanks for your answer and I will take Shadow to his appointment tomorrow if he continues to improve.

My own cat has done that! It's so upsetting to find vomit that looks bloody. I'm glad he's feeling better. Good luck at your appointment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oops! I hope I didn't authorize payment of another $18. I'm happy to pay the first $18, but have no other questions at this time. Thanks. Leni

I am uncertain how that works. I will flag this for the moderator so that we can make sure you didn't overpay :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Leni