Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has suspected Lyme disease, while we wait for the test

My dog has suspected Lyme disease, while we wait for the test results my vet wants me to give him penicillin injections. I have given him two so far, (one yesterday and one today) the directions say to give inter-muscularly which I also did. I am more comfortable giving sub Q shots than inter-muscularly can i do that instead?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I would suggest adhering to the instructions that your veterinarian provided.

Dr. Drew :

While some types of penicillin might be OK to give subcutaneously, some can absorb poorly, or cause an abscess, if not given intramuscularly.

Dr. Drew :

I cannot recommend that you go against the instructions provided in this situation.

Dr. Drew :

Oral medicine is perfectly acceptable for treatment of Lyme,

Dr. Drew :

so if you are uncomfortable, I suggest asking your vet for oral medication.

Customer:

we tried oral, it was impossible to administer. I forgot to ask how soon typically results are seen with the antibiotics? he's been ill a little over a week but recently has had a return of appetite just prior to vet visit on Thurs, I originally thought he had just sprained a toe.

Dr. Drew :

I have noticed an improvement within 2-3 days of starting antibiotics, for dogs with a confirmed diagnosis of Lyme disease.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX able to bear some weight on the limb this morning which I assume is a positive, I am just hoping to avoid/concerned about migrating limb pain which seems the bigger issue now that his appetite has returned.

Dr. Drew :

Lyme disease can have a slow process of recovery in some cases, so there may be some setbacks along the way. As long as the general direction is improving, that's a good thing.

Customer:

Yes I have been researching that. Ok thanks so much.

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome -- best wishes to you both!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew