Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

has small white worms 1/4-1/2 inch in poop. what to do?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, the most common worms are roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms. If they appear to be like pieces of rice, that could support tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by having fleas and the dog ingests the flea when grooming. So, if any recent flea problems, that could suggest tapeworms. Why is that important?
Well, most dewormers do not also cover for tapeworms.

So, my suggestion would be to get into a vet today. Any vet will do if your regular is not open.
Get a quality deworming product, and make sure to get enough so you can repeat the dose in 2 weeks.

There are some broad spectrum dewormers you can buy at petstores, but ideally, I prefer the products from a vet (increased level of confidence of what is being given).

A popular broad spectrum dewormer is called Drontal Plus.

It isn't a medical emergency, but worth treating as soon as you can.
Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.