Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I have a 17 pound boston terrior. He swallowed a piece of

I have a 17 pound boston terrior. He swallowed a piece of material, about 1/4 inch by 4 inches in length. He grabbed it a ran with it before I coyld catch him, he was gone! That was 4 days ago. He has eaten, drank normalky, peed and pooped at least 2 times a day since. But I havent seen the cloth in his stools. He is playing and acting normal. When should I worry, and should I take him in to the vet anyway? Is it possible that the cloth disintegrated in his stomach? He seems fine....
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Have you been checking the stool?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have went out with him every time and checked each deposit

Lori, the cloth will not disintegrate in the gastrointestinal tract. It is common for certain types of foreign body to stay for days or even weeks in some cases. I would recommend you change the diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) for a few days. The idea is for the rice to bind the cloth so that it passes in the feces. If you do not see the cloth with the next 1-2 days of changing the diet I would have your family veterinarian take an xray with barium (contrast material) to make sure it is not obstructed in the bowel.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter