PetDoctor2005, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past seven years

Hi There, Ive read you can give cats and dogs bilberry

Hi There,

I've read you can give cats and dogs bilberry for protecting their eyesight. How much can you give them of Bilberry powder if you sprinkle it over their food? If my cat is 11 pounds how much should I give her and if my dog weighs 25 pounds how much should I give him?

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi! I am a practicing small animal veterinarian and I would be happy to help! Please don't rate my answer until you are FULLY satisfied. Thanks!

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi there! Bilberry is used by many alternative/holistic veterinarians for eye health. It is a very safe supplement and the dose would be about 1/2 tsp per day for your standard cat/small dog. I would use that dose for both of your animals.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX don't need to give an exact dose based on weight? I read that some vets recommend giving 20 mg per 10 pounds of pet weight. I just want to be sure you can't overdose.

PetDoctor2005 : can't overdose...well..I take that back, you could, but only if you are giving several tablespoons a day....There are many conflicting studies/references out there and most agree that it is better to give a little bit more than not enough. Most sources give ranges based on "small, medium, large dogs" and cats. Your 25lb dog would be in the "small" category. I think 1/2 tsp is a good dose for them.

PetDoctor2005 :

Anything else I can help you with?

He doesn't seem small when I have to carry him! :) Thanks for your help.

PetDoctor2005 :

:) I have a 25lb-er myself and I couldn't agree more

PetDoctor2005 :

Enjoy your day

Hi Lorraine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?