Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

We need to place our flock of 12 guineas elsewhere off our

We need to place our flock of 12 guineas elsewhere off our property temporarily (about 1-3 months). Is this possible with guineas, or would it stress them out too much? If we did move them, would we need to move the entire flock of 12 together or can they be separated into, say, groups of six each and going to two separate places?
Hi there,

As long as your guineas are adults and they are handled properly, I don't think moving will be a problem. Guineas are hardy birds and more independent than chickens, and I think as long as there is plenty to eat, they will settle right into their temporary home. It's especially good that this is happening during a season in which they don't normally lay eggs, so you have less to worry about in terms of hens becoming broody.

Cocks and hens can become quite attached to one another, so if you do split them into two groups, be sure your boys have ladies to co-habitate with. The girls do pretty well in all-girl flocks if needed.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further. Best of luck!