Dr. Jeff
Dr. Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  12+ years small animal general practice
21393945

Hello, my dog has small round sores on her belly, she has also

Hello, my dog has small round sores on her belly, she has also been acting strange. She has been eating 3 times the amount of food, drink twice as much water and pooping on our basement floor. This is not normal behaviour for her. Any ideas?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jeff replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. The sores could be a variety of issues including small skin infections (often secondary to allergies), masses, ringworm, metabolic diseases (ie cushings, etc). The other signs could be related to a variety of issues including cushings syndrome, diabetes, intestinal issues, kidney disease, cancers, pregnancy/ false pregnancy (if not spayed), pyometra (if not spayed), etc. Blood work performed by your local veterinarian is probably the best way to narrow down some of these issues. There is no great home remedy to offer at this stage, but if the areas on the belly look like irritated skin, you may see a benefit to a thin layer of cortaid or neosporin.

I mentioned cushings syndrome earlier. This is an overactive adrenal gland resulting in the production of too much cortisol. This typically occurs either because of a adrenal tumor or the pituitary gland over signals the adrenal to produce too much cortisol. Symptoms often include increased drinking, increased peeing, increased appetite, poor coat and skin, pot belly, panting, etc. While I would expect this to occur in a dog older than 7, it can occur in dogs this young.

If your vet performs bloodwork, it will likely include many tests that can rule in/out some of the possible issues I mentioned. Cushings will often require a second (and in rare cases third) to make a diagnosis, but some of the changes on a general blood panel will guide your vet in determining if the second test is necessary.
Keep in mind, there can be other possible issues your vet determines based on physical exam, but I hope this gets you started so you are prepared when you have her seen. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Dr. Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience: 12+ years small animal general practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, thanks for the info. She has been panting on and off as well as extremely unsettled. She has not sit still for longer then 5 minutes for the last few weeks. Another thing is her shaking her head back and forth a lot, like she is trying to get something out of her ears. The sores are round circular dry patches, not open oozing sores. Does this fit anything in particular?
The unsettled behavior can occur with cushings, but I would say it is very I consistent. Plus, the head shaking could be a result of an ear(infection) or dental issue(not likely). My advice remains the same. I would try the cortaid on the belly lesions and consider the vet visit. Even if the bloodwork is normal, it rules out a number of the issues I me mentioned. I hope this helps

Jeff