Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

HI Barbara, I just put a teasp catnip in my cats food to calm

HI Barbara, I just put a teasp catnip in my cats food to calm him for a car ride. Is that to much could I have hurt him? If that does not work can I break a benadryl capsule and sprinkle a little in food. the one cat gets extremely upset and scratches and screams even before you can get him in the cage. they are 25 and 30 pounds long hair cats
thank you in advance,
shannon

Dr. Barbara :

Shannon. . . Wow, I didn't realize that Zeus and Caesar are such big guys! The teaspoon of catnip in his food probably did no harm, however, there is no dosing schedule for catnip or studies that I can find about the amount. Catnip can cause neurological signs of tremor and dizzyness, and possibly vomiting. If your cat has these affects then I'd wait one day for them to clear. If he doesn't show any signs within an hour then this was not too much for him. In the future, instead of putting catnip in his food, I'd just offer it too him plain so that he can sniff and rub and ingest a small amount.

Dr. Barbara :

Benadryl would work well. The dose for cats is 0.5mg/ pound of body weight. I'd double check Zeus' and Caesar's weights just to be sure you are correct. Cats can weigh 25 and 30 pounds, but this is unusual! Hope this helps!

Dr. Barbara :

Hi Shannon, Just wanted to let you know that I need to be away from my computer for the next couple of hours. I'll check back here then. . .

Customer:

thank you,

Customer:

they both seem really sleepy. I am glad I did not harm them. after one hour I will feel better.

Customer:

I don't even know how to give 1mg of benedryl unless I bought the childrens chewable but if the cat nip wears off I will just give the a little more in about four hrs when we leave for the vet. It worked very quickly.

Customer:

thanks again,

Customer:

shannon

Dr. Barbara :

Does sound like they will be fine. . .Too much catnip would have the effect of making them hyperactive.

Customer:

I would like to eat some myself it worked so well on them. LOL

Customer:

I am kinda of wondering what the normal hr is for a cat? I am in medicine myself and just would like to ck it on them.

Customer:

thanks so much again

Customer:

shannon

Dr. Barbara :

:) :) :) !!!!! Children's benadryl usually comes in a liquid which is 12.5 mg per 1 tsp. or 5 ml. At 25 pounds a cat would get 1 tsp. and at 30 pounds this would be about 1 1/8 tsp. A normal heart rate for a cat is 100 to 160 bpm. You are very welcome!

Customer:

thanks again

Hi Hanna,
How'd it go with Caesar and Zeus? Did they stay calm on just the catnip? If you used it, did the Benadryl work for you?
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara