Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I have a mini pig and it looks like he ripped off one of his

I have a mini pig and it looks like he ripped off one of his long, front nails. He is limping but still walking around. I can take him to the vet tomorrow but anything I can do tonight?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr STeve. I'm Sorry to hear about Carnita's injury

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Is there any bleeding now?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Losing a nail, is like losing a fingernail in a person. It can be very painful and the tissue under the nail can be tender.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

There are a few things you can try to help him. but it is possible that these suggestions could possibly cause some discomfort for him and if they do, it may be best to not continue them.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

One would be to put a cold wet cloth on the foot to reduce inflammation. Ice would be good but, I am afraid the ice would be too hard and may cause pain.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Another thing that could be tried would be to try and wrap it with a telfa pad and an ace wrap to give it protection from getting bumped. Again if the pressure of the wrap seems to be irritating him then it may be causing more pain than it was trying to prevent.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I see you are stepping in and out of chat. This sometimes occurs when we are having a problem with the chat mode. Can you see anything I am typing?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If I don't see a reply from you in a minute or to I will switch to another mode. THis is called Q&A mode and you should be able to see my replies. Then you can type any questions you have for me in the box and hit send.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I am switching to Q&A Mode now.

I will check in a few minutes to see if you are able t see my responses now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No bleeding now and there was only a small amount in his bed but it looks
pretty raw.

I am terribly sorry that I have missed you. Have you taken him to the vet yet? If the bleeding is not a problem, then leaving it alone and letting it heal naturally may be all that is needed. I have had clients use a spray called Vetericyn that helps to promote healing and keeps wounds clean and disinfected. It improves oxygen flow to the tissue and helps speed up healing. I have used it on many wounds in horses, dogs and cats. I don't think it would hurt on a pig. If you choose to use this , it may be a little tender at first until the tissue has a chance to lay down a thin protective layer of cells. It still would be a good idea to take him in for an exam to make sure there isn't anything else damaged from the trauma. It is hard to know exactly how severe this could be without actually examining the foot.
I will be online for an hour yet tonight and again tomorrow if you have more questions . Have a nice night.