Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

Is ultra performitran a recommended fog food

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Sassy and her diet. I have a couple clients that feed diets from the Performatrin Ultra Dog food line and they company has a very good product line that provides a very good nutritional balance for those dogs. It is a diet line that I feel is very good and those clients have had their dogs do well on it. In making a switch from one dog food to another, the key step to make this go smoothly is to do it progressively. If a switch is made suddenly, diarrhea or vomiting can arise. What helps to avoid this is to feed 2/3 old food mixed with 1/3 new for 3 days, then go 1/2 and 1/2 and then finally 1/3 old with 2/3 new for 3 days. After this, all new can be fed. I hope she continues to like the new food and does good on it!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How does The Ultra compare to Nutorchoice and Holistic
I would say that the Ultra, the Nutro Choice, and the Holistic foods are all in the upper tier of the dog food lines that can be fed. It is difficult to say specifically which is "better" as that starts to split hairs. They all are up there and I would say to any client of mine that is feeding them that they have made a very good choice for their pet. What may help to drive a client towards one or the other is availability, cost and palatibility of the food with their dog.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are they AAFCO rated complete and balance?
AAFCO does not regulate, test, approve or certify pet foods. AAFCO establishes the nutritional standards for complete and balanced pet foods, and it is the pet food company's responsibility to formulate their products according to the appropriate AAFCO standard. So in saying this, it is up to each one to meet those standards and according to the labels on the products they meet them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How will I know if these standards are met
I copied this from the AAFCO website "It is the state feed control official's responsibility in regulating pet food to ensure that the laws and rules established for the protection of companion animals and their custodians are complied with so that only unadulterated, correctly and uniformly labeled pet food products are distributed in the marketplace and a structure for orderly commerce."

Here is the link from the AAFCO website that has the individual states hyperlinked to provide further information for each state.

http://petfood.aafco.org/StateFeedProgramInformation.aspx