Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my 20 year old cat has thrown up water that she has been drinking

my 20 year old cat has thrown up water that she has been drinking alot of for weeks. She can not keep any food down. She has always thrown up alot. She was grooming herself so much the hairballs would cause her to throw up. She looks like whe is having strokes or seizures. She can not get up. Can not eat and keeps having these weird physical movements. Jerking of her legs. I feel like she is too old to spend a bunch of money on and it is Sunday, so none of the vets in town are open.
What can I do for my cat. It is tearing me apart watching as she goes completely straight stretched like she is in the "throws of death"
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that Doolie is not feeling well. She is quite the senior citizen!

At this point, there's little you can do at home to keep her comfortable. It sounds as if she has a serious illness (diabetes or kidney failure would be the top two on my list from what you describe) that would require intensive medical therapy in order for her to recover.

I don't recommend giving anything by mouth to a cat that cannot eat because there is a high risk of choking and it's difficult or impossible to give enough liquid to do any good. Keeping her in a warm place may help, but really, at this point, the kindest thing you can do is have a veterinarian who keeps emergency hours euthanize her and end her suffering. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything at home that will be helpful.

I hope this is helpful, and I'm so sorry this creature that you've had in your life so long is doing poorly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already had figured out that a vet would have to see her to put her down. I just wanted to know ways to keep her comfortable with th seizures etc, animals always get very sick when there is no vet to take them to

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She would have already been to the vet if it had not been a weekend. I already knew everything else you told me.

BUT maybe if you can tell me an answer about my 1yr old cat just started vomitting blood. I am scare that I may have made him sick by spraying bug spray. He has played with the bugs BIG and small and may have eaten one

What should I do, what could cause this. He has never been a throw up cat

I understand your frustration; however, I cannot give you additional answers that don't exist. Frankly, this is what happens when your pet has been sick for weeks, as you state, and you continue to wait to seek help.

I do hope that you will take action today, as it is now no longer the weekend.

There are a variety of reasons that a cat may vomit blood, from toxicity (including bug spray) to any other cause for gastritis. The limitation of looking for answers on the internet is that I cannot examine your cat or perform necessary testing to find out what is going on. I'd advise you to visit your local veterinarian.
Hi Ralphine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Buddy the cat home after a $239 vet bill. They did not come up with any reason that he threw up blood.

Since he has been home, he seems low on energy and he eats, but for the first time he threw up his hard food. It had hair in it, so guess it was a hairball. No way I can know for sure though. I will just continue to watch him.

Thank you.