Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My little pom/pap male is twitching while laying here with

My little pom/pap male is twitching while laying here with me, no sounds and he become alert and what not when I touch him or talk to him. He has been eating, drinking and going to the bathroom fine so I don't know what is wrong

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you.

Customer:

Hi thank you

Dr. Bruce :

What is your dog's name? How old is he?

Customer:

His name is XXXXX XXXXX he's around 6 years old

Dr. Bruce :

Thanks. How long have you noticed this twitching?

Customer:

He's done it a few time now, over about a year

Dr. Bruce :

Does it always occur when Milo is laying down? Is he sleeping or very relaxed when you see this happen?

Customer:

Yeah, when hes getting ready to sleep. He spends a lot of time with me on my bed

Dr. Bruce :

He is normal, healthy, happy otherwise? No problems or issues that you are aware of?

Customer:

Yeah, happy and healthy. Havent noticed anything else wrong

Dr. Bruce :

Great! My initial thought is that he is starting to go to sleep, and is actually dreaming! I hear over and over from my clients about their dogs doing this behavior, and the initial concern is that the dogs are having some sort of seizure. Then my clients will stimulate the dog (pet them, talk to them, whatever) and the dog will pop up and look at them like "What's up?". I don't know for sure if that is what is going on with Milo, but it certainly sounds similar to what I see with my clients. If it were some sort of seizure activity, you would see it when he is awake, and there would usually be other signs to go along with it. It wouldn't be wrong to have your vet look at him and maybe run some routine bloodwork just to rule out anything going on, but it sounds like he is normal.

Customer:

He is awake when he twitches, I can hold my hand on his and it continues. So I don't think he's dreaming. But we are thinking of getting him looked at just to be safe

Dr. Bruce :

It may not be dreaming in the sense that he is fully asleep, but the recurring theme I hear from my clients is that it always occurs when the pet is very relaxed (laying down, not in any "ready" mode). Invariably, the pet is normal otherwise and healthy.

Dr. Bruce :

The fact that Milo always becomes alert and normal is consistent with how my other patients present to me.

Customer:

Alright. So I don't need to worry anymore tonight. And he's stopped now, laying nicely by me.

Dr. Bruce :

You definitely don't need to worry. Can't hurt to get him checked out by the vet at your convenience.

Customer:

Alight. Thank you for helping

Dr. Bruce :

You're very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?