Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I sprayed by small dog (Shitsu) with Hot Shot Bedbug and Flea

I sprayed by small dog (Shitsu) with Hot Shot Bedbug and Flea by mistake and she is shivering and is running around unconsolable. We have bathed her and given her some bendadryl. She vomited once a small bit but otherwise does not appear nauseous. She has problems with fleas and licks herself a lot normally. She does not seem drugged; her eyes are clear. She just can't seem to sit in one place very long. This is been going on for over 2 hours

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Molly being sprayed with Hot Shot Bedbug and Flea spray.

The active ingredient in this product is Lambda-Cyhalothrin, which is in the pyrethrin family of chemicals. Cats are very sensitive to these chemicals, and so are some small dogs. Side effects of their use are nausea, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, hyperactivity or lethargy, incoordination, tremors, and possible seizures.

Treatment is based upon decontamination. I know that you have bathed her once but I would bathe her again in cool water and a degreasing cleaner such as Dawn dishwashing detergent to remove as much of the product as possible.

At home today to ease her nausea you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help settle her stomach and can be used for several days if necessary.

I also recommend feeding a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, shredded white chicken or lean ground beef and 2/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow and as a way of getting fluids into her. Feed small meals several times today.

If all goes well in a couple days start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

Keep her very quiet and in a low light environment. The more stimulation she has the more likely she will be to experience tremors or seizures.

Most of the time with pyrethrin toxin exposures if we remove the toxin and give supportive care (plenty of fluids, bland diet and keeping them quiet) they recover in a few days to a week or soon their own. However if she is uncoordinated or has any seizures then she needs veterinary care for more intensive treatment. Then she will need intravenous fluids and injectable medications to control the seizures/tremors.
Let me know if you have any further questions.