Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Hi my 5 year old labradoodle tries to eat but brings it up

Hi my 5 year old labradoodle tries to eat but brings it up more or less straight away. She started 3/4 days ago with diarrhoea so we put her on rice and chicken and she seemed better but today she can't keep her food down.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that Blondie isn't doing well. The chicken and rice is a great idea, and it's the first step I usually recommend for treating diarrhea at home. However, sometimes it's just not enough.

Vomiting in association from diarrhea can be from irritation of the GI tract associated with having diarrhea, or it can be more serious (having eaten something indigestible, a loop of intestine stuck where it shouldn't be, etc). Vomiting is a good indicator that it's time for a trip to the vet for an exam, and possibly for x-rays to rule out anything more serious than very bad simple diarrhea. Your vet can also prescribe medication to stop the vomiting and treat the diarrhea, as once they start vomiting, they generally need medication to stop.

In the meantime, while she's vomiting, take her food away for about 12 hours. You can give her a 20mg Pepcid (famotidine) to try to settle her stomach. After 12 hours, you can give her 1-2 meatball sized portions of chicken and rice and see if she holds it down. If so, she can have another small meal every 4-6 hours.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.