Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

dog had diarrhea in his crate after eating guinea pig food

dog had diarrhea in his crate after eating guinea pig food and sat in it all day. anything to watch out for?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Walter.
Amazing what these dogs will eat. :)

What else to watch for?
- diarrhea lasting greater than 48 hours
- any blood in the stool. This can be black/tarry color or red
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or abdominal pain
- vomiting
- loss of appetite

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Sorry to hear about this concern. If you go into a vet, they will likely recommend maybe a probiotic, and an antibiotic like flagyl (metronidazole), which is wonderful for diarrhea situations.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?
Hello
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Walter is doing great. Thanks for your quick response and follow up,

You are very welcome Howard.
Good Luck